Can I afford a baby?
If youíre in a tight spot financially, take a step back and realize that babies themselves arenít all that expensive, itís new parents who spend thousands on extra unnecessary baby items that make it look expensive.
In reality, If you breastfeed, cloth diaper and budget carefully you and your infant can get by on quite a bit less than youíd thinkÖ as long as youíve a warm safe loving home for your newborn and you're able to breastfeed them.
If you end up formula-feeding and using disposable diapers, you will have two significant new expenses to add to your budget once baby is born.
The main costs for your child:
- A safe warm home
If you've got these under control, you can focus on building up an emergency fund and nest egg for future schooling costs. This requires a bit of simple budgeting and planning with your partner and family.
If you're struggling financially and live in the USA, WIC can help you get a leg up during your pregnancy and post-partum.
- Make saving money a primary goal
- Shop second hand, coupon if you have the time
- Plan meals for the week & shop accordingly to avoid waste
- Have a baby shower if possible
- Record every cent spent
- Avoid credit whenever possible
- Put 10% or more of your monthly income in a savings account.